Nick Diaz: ‘I never loved fighting. I never wanted to fight’


Source: mmafighting.com
Photo: Esther Lin, MMA Fighting

nick Esther Lin

On Wednesday, UFC president Dana White said he offered Nick Diaz a fight against Hector Lombard and was waiting to hear back from him.

“I tried to make Nick and Lombard,” White said. “Nick and I talked, and I haven’t heard back from him, he went MIA.”

However, in a rare interview on Wednesday, Diaz told MMAFighting.com that he has already made his intentions and expectations clear.

“I never considered anything other than to renegotiate my contract or fight Johny Hendricks,” he said. “All I said was, What am I getting paid? And he said, Let me check your contract. And the last text I got from him was what I would be fighting for. I didn’t consider fighting for that kind of money. I didn’t say anything back to him, right, but usually that means something. I’m not considering even for a second fighting any of those guys for less than $500,000. There’s no way.

“I’m retired. Completely retired. Unless the UFC wants to renegotiate for something I’m happy with or I’m going to be fighting for the world title, which is obviously going to be for something I’m happy with because I’ll make a ton of money.

“The UFC wants me to fight. The people want me to fight. I don’t want me to fight. So if we’re going to need me to fight, we’re going to have to work out the right deal.”

Read the rest of this entry »

Nate Diaz breaks silence about issues with UFC


Source: mmafighting.com

Nate Diaz hasn’t talked to the media since his dominant first-round TKO win over Gray Maynard on Nov. 30. He hasn’t been necessarily quiet, though, since then either.

Over the past few months, Diaz has tweeted about his displeasure with fighting in the UFC. Most recently, he asked to be released. He hasn’t said much since then — though, he did tweet “more money…” early Tuesday morning.

Last month, UFC president Dana White said he had not talked to Diaz and was not interested in releasing him.

“Really? He hasn’t called me. That’s how you do these things, you tweet? … The answer would be no.” White said. “He just signed a new contract that he was happy with a month ago.”

And that was that. Until today.

MMAFighting.com spoke to Diaz Tuesday afternoon. Here’s what he had to say about his current relationship with the UFC:

“I’m ready to fight but not for some funny money that they’re trying to give me. They can let me go or they can let me fight, but let me do something. They know I need to make some money. I feel like they’re just trying to keep me on the waiting list. I don’t even want to communicate through anybody. If they want to figure out what’s going on, we should talk. No one is contacting me. I’m just doing my thing. Training every day. I’m ready to fight tomorrow.

“They need to be about more money. My contract is all f*cked up. I want to be paid like these other fighters. I’m over here getting chump change. At this point, they’re paying all my partners and other people I train with are getting real money, and it’s too embarrassing for me to even fight again for the money they’re paying me. So they can either pay me or let me go. I’m with that.

“I train harder than everybody in the UFC. And then there’s boxers out there getting multimillion dollar contracts, and I’m a bigger draw than boxers. It’s embarrassing. I think I’m the biggest draw in the lightweight division. I feel like they’re trying to weed me out of the top 10. I saw that I went from no. 5 to 6 in the rankings, for some reason. That doesn’t make any sense.

Read the rest of this entry »

Page 1 of 6312345...102030...Last »